11/19/14

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - ,,,,

To bird


 How do I bird.
Yes how? Well lets start

   Camera or pencil
This is a huge problem for me. I am good at drawing and like doing photography. Two things that constantly compet. I've tried to get an (almost) solution.I do little, raver silly looking sketches in my field book and then when we get home I draw them in my journal( thank you Rainbows in the Puddles!). I can take photos as well then.
   Identification
The most needed way of id is often by field marks. Size, where abouts and bill/leg color are also used with some birds.
   Feeding
"Diner is Served" I could tell the Sparrows, Chaffinches and Plover (naughty hen!!!) once at least once a week(but I don't, I just put it out). I like to buy my seed from Bunnings. It is cheap and little waste seed.
 Apparently black oil sunflower seed is good and so is millet.Wheat, milo and rice are manly fillers. I will do a full post on it all later.

    Guides
I like to have several guides. At the moment I've got two New Zealand, one Britan (my Nana lives there so is of interest to me), one really old 1961 Peterson to the U.S (will update that soon, can't remember whether I decided on a Sibley or a Kaufman?) For my NZs I've one heavy by Penguin and a light Collins Birds of New Zealand. The second having more "field" in it. I personally like painted guide over photographed ones as they tend to have more helpfulness.
   Binos
With my glasses I do not use them much, so I got a cheap pair. I got them of Trade me for $40. They are a 30x60 with a relatively clear view.
   Dog
Wait... How did that get in there? Oh, but how could I leave him out.
 Shadow is not a great birder, for a start he's afraid of birds. But  he's a great companion!
   
  Sorry too tired to finish it