10/17/14

Friday, October 17, 2014 -

Sandie Spit in Motueka!

On 1st October we went to Motueka sand-spit. It was my first time seeing Godwit. I had trouble identifying them. At first I thought all the Godwit were Knot and then I realized all the Knot were Godwit.
We also (by accident) found a Banded Dotterel nest. I saw one of the parent's 'broken wing' display which I knew meant a nest was close by. We looked down and there, a foot away, was the lovely, little green eggs!
I also saw my first Reef Herons flying along the shore. Gannets flew overhead as we walked along the spit.
 It is a wonderful Birding spot and I'm surprised I only heard of it six months ago!


The Weka are well. The chicks are growing adult feathers now, especially 'Corn' the larger one.

A starling box I put up is now being inspected by a Sparrow pair. 










 This Is a rare reef heron
I hardly saw them.